Re: cdrecord floating point exception

> > Perhaps before the name was used, but there was a fork with DVD
> > capability before cdrecord got the ProDVD code. I used it because I had
> > too many problems with the licensing of ProDVD and couldn't get
> > permission to install it.

> Well, please try to find a proof that someone different did add DVD support
> to cdrecord before February/March 1998.

You're playing with words.  This is the timeline as I remember it:

 1) cdrecord writes to CDs.

 2) cdrecord gets DVD writing code added and becomes cdrecord-ProDVD
    which is not free software.  The free version of cdrecord continues
    to exist, without DVD writing capability.

 3) dvdrecord (dvdrtools) forks the free cdrecord and adds DVD writing
    code that only works for a few drives under a few situations.

 4) growisofs (dvd+rwtools) comes along, adds DVD writing that works
    pretty well.

 5) cdrecord's DVD writing code is merged into the free version of cdrecord.
    License is changed to a different free license.

 6) Debian forks "wodim" from an older cdrecord because they're uncertain
    of the new license.

Nobody claims their DVD writing code is better than yours or older than
yours.  They just claim (correctly) that other code was FREE during a
time when yours was not.

> You will not be able to do this because the official cdrecord DVD support
> has been introduced at a time, when only two other DVD recording programs
> have been available at all, one of them was from Pioneer. At the time
> cdrecord introduced DVD support, only 35 DVD recorders existed in the whole
> world.

All well and good, but the resulting program was non-free and therefore
many people could not use it, or chose not to use it.  It is free NOW,
and thank you for that, but we're discussing the state of affairs during
the time cdrecord-ProDVD was non-free.