Re: The future of mkisofs

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> I happily offer the suggestion that since the program has not been
> limited to ISO9660 images for years, the name implies limitations which
> don't apply, and since you can create images for most common optical
> media, that a name like "mkoptimage" would be more correct as well as
> preventing confusion.

mkisofs is a well known program name and I cannot see that your proposal for a
name change could help to reduce confusion for users.

The probably biggest help for _new_ users was to list only the "most important"
options in case of a usage error:

Most important Options:
        -posix-H                Follow sylinks encountered on command line
        -posix-L                Follow all symlinks
        -posix-P                Do not follow symlinks (default)
        -o FILE, -output FILE   Set output file name
        -R, -rock               Generate Rock Ridge directory information
        -r, -rational-rock      Generate rationalized Rock Ridge directory info
        -J, -joliet             Generate Joliet directory information
        -print-size             Print estimated filesystem size and exit
        -UDF                    Generate UDF file system
        -dvd-video              Generate DVD-Video compliant UDF file system
        -iso-level LEVEL        Set ISO9660 level (1..3) or 4 for ISO9660 v 2
        -V ID, -volid ID        Set Volume ID
        -graft-points           Allow to use graft points for filenames
        -M FILE, -prev-session FILE     Set path to previous session to merge

to lead people to the right options.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)