Re: WRITE@LBA=3e0c30h failed with SK=3h/WRITE ERROR]: Input/output error (DL)

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i wrote:
> > > the official Linux world rather settled with wodim.
> Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > They will stop doing this stupid move after they realized that
> > this move did create them dozens of unfixed bugs and that there is no
> > maintanance for "wodim".
>
> What maintenance would it need for its
> core purpose to write CDs ?
> If ever then i expect that i needs to be
> adapted to some future new kernel interface.

They added a lot of bugs that are not in the original software.

You thus cannot think about cdrecord but talk about wodim.
Cdrecord would not soon need new CD related features but wodim is also based
on a 3+ year old cdrecord version that misses features that are present in
cdrecord for a while.

Look at the bug list I send you to find the obvious problems. It nicely also
shows up many bugs "cdrkit" added to it's mkisofs version: e.g. broken support
for Joliet, broken support for UTF-8 based locales and a broken "implementation"
for files > 4 GB.

Of course, the real problem is that there have been changes in libscg and
wodim that are a result of a hostile attitude against a platform-neutral CLI
and a result of denying the need for extended privileges to write CDs/DVDs.
These changes make wodim harder to use than the original and hide problems that
are reported early in the original - in wodim the resulting problems are
reported late and in a hard to classify way.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)