Re: refresh options and the best GUI

Mario <mario.danic@gmail.com> wrote:

> you are more then welcome to join us under the libburnia umbrella.
> I believe, as you will find if you join us, that we are more then collaborative
> with everyone.

People who like to help with the development of cdrtools are always welcome.
Cdrtools may be used on many different platforms. If you start a project on
Linux, you have a hard stand to make this portable. Please understand that
I would like to increase the funtionality rather than working on portability
for more than a year.

> Mkisofs is battle-proven, and that's it most valuable feature, but has
> tons of legacy code, and while libisofs & Xorriso don't support the
> same feature set (yet) mostly due to my lack of time, you better not
> put all your cards on the fact that it will stay like that for my
> long.

It may be that you did not look at the mkisofs source code for a long time.

Note that Eric Youngdale (the original developer) did work on it between
1993 and 1997 - this is 4 years.

I am working on mkisofs since 1997 and Eric did hand over the complete
development to me in September 1999 after he did only take over patches
from me during 2 years between 1997 and 1999. So I am working on mkisofs
for 11 years now. This is nearly 3x as long as Eric did work on mkisofs.
More than 70% of the code has been maintained by me and more than 60% of the
current code in mkisofs was written by me.

Since Y 2000 I am constantly working on rewriting the code in order to make the
code cleaner, mode maintainable and more bugfree. This all happens besides
adding new funtions like the built-in find(1) that gives you a lot of
interesting features.

The result is much cleaner code than before and increated functionality without
losing the tricks that are needed for portability.

Mkisofs has many features that will take a long time to implement from scatch
correctly and in a portable way.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)