Re: BD-R formatting help

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Matt Schulte wrote:
I don't mean to say that it located the
bad spot before hand.

I understood your report of yesterday that there
is a visible difference on the surface of the
recorded media caused by the scratch.
(Like a ring of different reflectivity or so.)

This would have indicated that not the same
kind of writing happened to the affected area.
And that would have implied foresight.

It is not impossible that the media knows
about the scratch if it was encountered already
during formatting.
Only the area around the scratch seems to be a different color. It is as if it burned up to the scratch, hopped over it, and started burning again. It is not a ring that goes all the way around the disc.

Unfortunately it has been about two years since I created this disc. It was back when Andy was first working on adding BD support to the dvd+rw-tools. Now my boss asks me to do it again, except with a bigger scratch and I can't seem to make it work. That is why we're talking now.
So how did you learn about the triggering
of the defect handler ?
Except by this from your dvd+rw-mediainfo run:

BD SPARE AREA INFORMATION:
 Spare Area:            60736/131072=46.3% free

I assume it was 50 % before. About 9 to 10 MB
would be consumed then
I don't think I understand this question. I scratched the media, then burned my data. Then I looked at the disc and could see that there is an area around the scratch that looks different. Then I put the disc back and and verified its contents against the local source and they were the same. This implied that the defect management had kicked in and can be verified by the fact that the Spare Area seems to have been put to use.

Matt Schulte
Commtech, Inc.
Voice: 316-636-1131
Fax: 316-636-1163