Re: Problems mounting DVD-RWs written with growisofs

Now I have to write a little wrapper script for growisofs to add -use-the-force... to the command line generated by the frontend.
Did you try whether growisofs does not use
DAO automatically if the media is blanked fast ?
You cannot reliably ask whether the media was blanked fast.
It doesn't mean that you can't try. If given firmware tells difference between minimally and fully blanked media, then it tells you that *every* time, i.e. reliably. In other words it's one-time test for user, then [s]he knows that it works reliably or does

If you believe there is a way to identify this, you should tell us how.

You check for feature 0x21, Incremental Streaming Writable, being current. If it's not, then DAO is the only applicable mode or in other words media in unit is minimally blanked. As already mentioned, it actually worked with all units I've tried. No, I can't claim that I've tested *awful lot* of them, but either way it's not exactly about "belief," but practical experience with quite a few.

blank=fast works only correctly if the medium was written on SAO mode before.
I can't second this. To start with there is no such thing as SAO in DVD-R[W] context. SAO is a CD recording mode, which means that unit records session lead-in prior user data. There are only two DVD-RW Sequential recording modes: DAO and Incremental. In latter mode

this is your private interpretation

So as yours, we are all expressing private opinions here. A.