Re: WRITE@LBA=3e0c30h failed with SK=3h/WRITE ERROR]: Input/output error (DL)

Hi,

Andy Polyakov wrote:
> [-dvd-compat] will still allow you to pad DVD+R,
> DVD-R Incremental, even DVD-R DL recordings,
> not to mention rewritables..

Yeah. That's why this development glitch could
stay undetected for quite a while.
It is harmless if the image comes from a regular
disk file, i understand from reading your builtin_dd().

I am currently testing the new "stable" and
unstable uploads of scdbackup. Now there are
precautions that -dvd-compat and -Z ...=/dev/fd/0
will not get together again.

Andy Polyakov wrote:
> There is also possibility that some/their units require layer break to be set
> but stranger things were observed...

Hm. I shall prepare libburn for explicite setting
of that address.
For now i left it out because the specs
do not call it mandatory by any means
and because i do not fully understand the
consequences.
(E.g. may i set the L0 capacity to hundred MB
and still write the full 4+ GB on L1 ? Do i
need to call RESERVE TRACK ? ...)

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> It [Gregoire's problem] is most likely a combination
> od 2 and 3.

Yep. Quite surely Gregoire's drive has a problem with 2,
the write command which touches both layers.

As for number 3, the write error far after the
layer break, anything is possible.

I estimate the probability for the observation
that 2 runs of growisofs and cdrskin failed and
6 runs of Nero succeed by incident as about 1/28 :
The first hit has probability 2/8, the second 1/7.

One can hardly state that this is not suspicious
of being systematic.

> Could you explain why writing a new program should
> help to "fix" the hostile habbit of some Linux kernel
> developers?

I see this as a more complex system of animosity.
To exchange one component might change that
system completely.
But for now, the official Linux world rather settled
with wodim. So the quarrel ended anyway.

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> I'll write a fix for cdrecord soon, tghen he may try again ;-)

You make me curious.
What precaution in cdrecord might avoid or
compensate a 3 0C 00 WRITE ERROR ?

The usual list of causes is
{"bad media", "automounter interference", "bad drive"}
Do you know more ?