Re: Odd message from cdrecord

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> s/outer/other/ - changing keyboards 3-4 times a day does not improve my
> already dubious typing. But growisofs, for instance, gets 9.8 or 9.9x
> overall and 12.1x on the outer tracks. I did check using the size and
> elapsed time to be sure the calculations are correct, so that's a real
> result from the same hardware and OS.

I would be amazed if you _correctly_ use cdrecord and find that growisofs
is faster than cdrecord.

Cdrecord sets up the speed you tell it and the speed is limited by the drive
and the media.

> > cdrecord does not make incorrect estimations, it _meters_ the behavior.
> > For drives that behave incorrectly in this area, just follow the
> > instructions.....
> >
> But it wants to limit the speed to half of what the hardware will do
> with other programs. Clearly there is some issue here, it just isn't
> obvious what it is.

Well, you have to _read_ the error message from cdrecord and follow the message
and the hints in the man page.

If you have problems, you obviously ignire these hints or you do not follow the
instructions in the man page - sorry, but I cannot help people who do not
follow the instructions.

Your problem is that you use a drive that does not allow a correct DMA test and
if you do not use the documented workaround for this _drive_ _Problem_ the
problem sits in front of the keyboard....

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)