Odd message from cdrecord

cdrecord 2.01.01a35 (built from source), USB attached "litescribe" drive, TDK 16x DVD-R media. Recording is refused with a message
      DMA speed too slow (OK for 6x). Cannot write at speed 16x.
Since growisofs writes at 12x just fine (9.8x overall, 12x outer tracks) clearly there is an issue of some kind with deciding which speed to use, and speeds of >6x as working.

This is just FYI, I only use this setup to burn complete DVD images from precreated files (mkisofs+dvdisaster) and this isn't keeping me from backing up old data.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still