Re: Help: Burning multisession DVD+R with cdrecord 2.01.01a37

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Eric Wanchic:

Looks Great ! TAO was executed.

Rob Bogus:

Thomas, perhaps you can clarify the SAO vs. TAO options and actual

Actually it is a packet write type.
"TAO" and "SAO" are rather aliases for a certain
behavior as it is known from good old CD media.

With DVD+R there is only this one write type.
cdrskin calls "TAO" a run without pre-announced size
and "SAO" a run with such an announcement.

MMC-5 4.3.6.2.2
"The Host views a DVD+R fragment as a fixed packet track
where the packet size is 16."
The following text describes command RESERVE TRACK
as optional for reserving a fixed track size.

Thanks, I saved that bit so I can quote it (with attribution, of course) to the next person who asks me. I was under the impression that there could be multiple tracks in a session, but I never saw an example of that. Clearly some drives offer one or the other, some both, and some odd things like:
Identifikation : 'DVD A  DH20A4P  '
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R LAYER_JUMP

I really wish I fully understood all of the modes with "/" but I have never needed them so it's just curiosity for now.
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still