Re: Oddness piping mkisofs into recent cdrecord versions

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

DVDs do not support TAO
Yes, I didn't make it clear that even with a CD it doesn't work on this particular burner. Clarification noted.

I cannot see that you have problems with writing CDs in TAO.
If you did have problems, I am sure you did send a report....

I did try using packet mode with cdrecord. Even though PACKET is listed as supported by the drive, and -packet is a documented option, it doesn't seem to work. I don't know if the -dvd-compat mode streams, there was a discussion of what it did, but I don't remember the details. Compatibility may only be an issue with multimedia destined for DVD players, I certainly don't do that, but I make a LOT of backups.

There is no -dvd-compat option.
You have edited out the sentence in your original message regarding growisofs and packet mode:

   growisofs only supports packet mode. This is less compatible than the streaming
   mode used by cdrecord.
There most definitely is a -dvd-compat mode, I just don't know without studying the code how it works.
Now I have to go try mounting an individual session to see how good that fake it.
You _need_ to run mkisofs twice in case you do not create an intermediate file.
The man page mentions using -isosize, but it seems that only works for a

Correct: the first run is with -isosize, the secone one without.

fully created image. That's a minor problem for 4.7GB, a larger one for 8.5GB, and when Blu-Ray comes down a bit in media price 50GB will be unavailable n most systems being backed up.

???

I see no difference regardless of the FS size.
The required space to save the image or time to make the run twice are essentially linear. This increases the space and/or time required to back up.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc