Re: Oddness piping mkisofs into recent cdrecord versions

Hi,

Bill Davidsen:
> > for some reason cdrecord
> > thinks the TAO capability is missing. As noted, growisofs has no such
> > problem,
Joerg Schilling:
> DVDs do not support TAO

Indeed. But they constitute a nice freak show of
write modes and usage peculiarities.

DVD-RAM, DVD+RW and DVD-RW "Restricted Overwrite"
are nearly random access read-write devices.
All three can easily perform TAO-like recording of
a single track and session.

Joerg:
> AFAIK, growisofs does not support multi-session but implement a fake...
> cdrecord will soon support real multi-session for DVDs.

I would not call a "fake" growisofs' method to produce
multi-session ISO-9660 on media which have no sessions.
It is a great workaround and well adapted to the
circumstances.
Now you made me curious about how cdrecord will do the
-multi and -msinfo thing with above media types so that
mount is able to find the most recent session.

> You _need_ to run mkisofs twice in case you do not
> create an intermediate file.

With contemporary cdrecord on DVD: regrettably yes.

But it is not needed with cdrecord, wodim or cdrskin
on CD (provided -tao does work).
It is not necessary with growisofs on DVD-RAM, DVD+RW,
DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R. (cdrskin can do it on DVD+RW
and DVD-RW too, meanwhile.)

Bill Davidsen:
> > and -tao doesn't seem to work, for some reason cdrecord
> > thinks the TAO capability is missing.

Can i talk you into giving cdrskin a try ?
Version 0.2.6 or later does TAO on CD.
(A drive really without CD TAO capability is worth to
be put on the pillory here. Like "Do Not Buy This One !")