Re: changing book-type on dvd burn?

Rob Bogus wrote:
Miles Fidelman wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a debian box and a Lite-On SHM-165PS cd/dvd drive.

I'm having a devil of a time burning bootable DVDs - they seem to burn, be readable, but when I try to boot, the system crunches a bit, the drive lite flashes, then boots from the hard drive. (It boots from CDs just fine.)

It looks like the default software (Nautilus and whatever is behind that) sets the book-type to DVD-ROM, and from what I gather by googling a bit, that might be my problem - and that I'd have better luck if it was setting book-type to DVD+R. The other suggestion I've received is to update the firmware on my drive.

So... a few questions:

- is that likely diagnosis?

I like the firmware better, but it depends on your method of *creating* the ISO images. non-bootable images are a more common problem than book type.
any suggestions on how to make sure I'm creating a bootable image - the providers claim they are (I've now downloaded three different ISO images that purport to be bootable - a SUSE LiveDCD, an xploraknoppix LiveDVD, and a Solaris LiveDVD)

I've tried burning with the default software included in Debian Etch (Nautilus file manager, right click).

I also just installed k3b and burned the SUSE LiveDVD again. Same failure to boot. Also looks like it burned as book-type DVD-ROM.

K3b, and whatever's behind it, seem smart enough to recognize that my drive can write DVD+R, but I can't quite figure out if there are config options I should be setting to: - make the image bootable (e.g, do I need to set any of the el torito related parameters?)
- set the book type

Thanks again,

Miles