Re: changing book-type on dvd burn?

Miles Fidelman wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a debian box and a Lite-On SHM-165PS cd/dvd drive.

I'm having a devil of a time burning bootable DVDs - they seem to burn, be readable, but when I try to boot, the system crunches a bit, the drive lite flashes, then boots from the hard drive. (It boots from CDs just fine.)

It looks like the default software (Nautilus and whatever is behind that) sets the book-type to DVD-ROM, and from what I gather by googling a bit, that might be my problem - and that I'd have better luck if it was setting book-type to DVD+R. The other suggestion I've received is to update the firmware on my drive.

So... a few questions:

- is that likely diagnosis?

I like the firmware better, but it depends on your method of *creating* the ISO images. non-bootable images are a more common problem than book type.

- if yes, how might I go about getting things to burn as book type DVD+R?

and/or

- are there any linux tools that I can use to update the firmware (Lite-On seems to only distribute Windows tools)

There is, but not having used it in a very long time I can't be positive of the current state, or even what tool is maintained these days. The tool I remember was pxupdate from joerg Schilling, and he might be willing to tell you if it is current, where to get the recent version, etc.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time