Re: Writing Dual Layer DVD-RW using Linux

Hi,

> Is it supposed to be:
>
> tar -jcf - * | \
> growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=/dev/stdin

Well, if /dev/stdin works then it's ok, of course.

> Also, does this put the backed up files into an ISO9660 file system on
> the DVD?

No. That's plain data stream writing.
Like with a tape.

For getting an ISO filesystem with a tar file
in it you would have to put an ISO hull around
the data stream in a pipe (hardly possible without
predicting the size) or you would have to put it
on hard disk and let growisofs use its builtin
pipe to mkisofs:

   growisofs -Z /dev/hdc   my_tar_archive.tgz

Note that there is no '=' after /dev/hdc.
The argument  my_tar_archive.tgz  goes to
mkisofs which generates an ISO image into
a pipe that gets read by growisofs and
written to media.

Paul Serice's backup system "shunt" comes to
my mind. It produces tar archives and packs
them into an on-the-fly generated ISO system.
  http://www.serice.net/shunt/
(It talks of growisofs as of about year 2004.)

> does not need the kernel's packet writing enabled

Yes. That is one of the advantages.
It works out of the box if you have rw-access
to /dev/hdc (in general: the block device ruling
your drive).