Re: Writing Dual Layer DVD-RW using Linux

> Re: Writing Dual Layer DVD-RW using Linux
> Thomas Schmitt
> Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:59:28 -0700

> > Is it supposed to be:
> >
> > tar -jcf - * | \
> > growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=/dev/stdin
>
> Well, if /dev/stdin works then it's ok, of course.

So if I want to overwrite an old back-up on the DVD with a new back-up,
I would just use the above command?  I won't need to format the DVD
again?

I mention reformatting because I've read that formatting a DVD many
times reduces its write/read lifetime more considerably than just
"blanking it".  I don't know why reformatting does this in comparison
to "blanking it" (however that is done).  Aren't reformatting and
blanking effectively the same?

Searching the web, I found posts in forums mentioning that drives that
can write to DVD-RW DL currently do not exist.  Only the media exists,
which isn't useful without a drive that can write to it!!

I'll probably search further.  But it looks like for a high capacity
re-writeable "DVD", I would need to go to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray...

Thanks.