Re: Writing Dual Layer DVD-RW using Linux

--- Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Are there really -RW DLs ? MMC-5 lists
> DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD+RW DL.

I am quite sure I have seen DVD-RW DL discs on sale while I was
wondering around a PC store.  May be I should check, but I am pretty
certain they were there.

> I never saw DVD+RW DL on sale, btw.

According to Wikipedia, drives that can handle DVD+RW DL discs should
be available in 2007.  As far as I am aware, no such drives are
available.  A shame really, as I think I would have used +RW DL myself.

>    tar -jcf - * | \
>    growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=/dev/fd/0
>
> (/dev/hdc is the target drive, /dev/fd/0 is
>  standard input to be used as data source.)

Is it supposed to be:

tar -jcf - * | \
growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=/dev/stdin

Also, does this put the backed up files into an ISO9660 file system on
the DVD?  Would ISO9660 be able to handle all 8.5GB of files going on
to the DVD?  I assume that I would be able to re-use the DVD to write a
fresh back up (like doing tape back ups)?

> You need no other preparations for that.

By this, I assume that the use of growisofs above does not need the
kernel's packet writing enabled (i.e. the pktsetup command does not
have to be used)?

Thanks.

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/