Re: No supported write modes with LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW

Hi Jörg,

On 9/10/07, Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
"Joe MacDonald" <joe.macdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen a couple of discussions about similar problems to mine with
> different models (the H30N seemed to be a hot topic about six weeks ago) but
> I haven't seen any suggestions that make things work (or at least point to a
> cause of the failure) for me.  First, the facts.
>
> - I bought this drive back in the spring.  It appears to work fine in WinXP
> with Nero 7.something or other.
>
> - I started off with Ubuntu 6.10 and upgraded to 7.04, neither of which
> seemed to work.
>
> - cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.20-16-generic (root@terranova) (gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu
> 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)) #2 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:55:27 UTC 2007
>
> - I went and grabbed the latest official cdrecord:
> cdrecord -version
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a35 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2007 J???rg Schilling
>
> - It seems to find the drive okay:
> cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a35 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2007 J???rg Schilling
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-H62N ' 'CL00' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> - Any attempt to write (-tao, -sao, -dao, -raw) gives me what appears to be
> the same errors:
>
> cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=0,0,0 -audio gbtrack_01.wav gbtrack_02.wav
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -sao mode.
> cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
> defaults.
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a35 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2007 J???rg Schilling
> TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
> Using libscg version ' schily-0.9'.
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
> atapi: 1
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 5
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
> Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-H62N '
> Revision       : 'CL00'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
> Current: CD-R
> Profile: DVD-RAM
> Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
> Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
> Profile: DVD+RW
> Profile: DVD+R
> [...]

Please try to run cdrecord on a different OS (e.g. Solaris or Win32).

I'm not at the affected machine right now, so it'll be a few more hours before I get a chance, but I'll give that a try.  I don't have a Solaris x86 version, but since I'm already dual-booting into WinXP, trying a Win32 cdrecord should be easy.

Your mail does not include any hint to the problem but other similar
reports make it highly probable that this is caused by a bug in the Linux
kernel.

I'll be happy to try whatever diagnostics you want me to try if we can find the source of the problem.  I just want to either get it working or be reasonably confident I know what the root cause is.  As you say here, there's not much to go on right now, but my feeling has been that it was something in the linux kernel as well.

When I get a chance to try this with Windows, I'll follow up.  It'll be six hours or so at least before I get there.

Thanks,
-Joe.

There are well known reports that verify that Linux under some conditions
bastardizes the "blank" command before sending iit to the drive. I myself
did see Linux bastardizing the "read toc" command. In my case, booting the
same hardware with Solaris or SCO Unixware did solve the problem.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)
       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de     (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/

--
-Joe.