Re: No supported write modes with LG GSA-H62N SATA DVD+RW

"Joe MacDonald" <joe.macdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen a couple of discussions about similar problems to mine with
> different models (the H30N seemed to be a hot topic about six weeks ago) but
> I haven't seen any suggestions that make things work (or at least point to a
> cause of the failure) for me.  First, the facts.
>
> - I bought this drive back in the spring.  It appears to work fine in WinXP
> with Nero 7.something or other.
>
> - I started off with Ubuntu 6.10 and upgraded to 7.04, neither of which
> seemed to work.
>
> - cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.20-16-generic (root@terranova) (gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu
> 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)) #2 SMP Fri Aug 31 00:55:27 UTC 2007
>
> - I went and grabbed the latest official cdrecord:
> cdrecord -version
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a35 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2007 J???rg Schilling
>
> - It seems to find the drive okay:
> cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a35 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2007 J???rg Schilling
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-H62N ' 'CL00' Removable CD-ROM
>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *
>
> - Any attempt to write (-tao, -sao, -dao, -raw) gives me what appears to be
> the same errors:
>
> cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=0,0,0 -audio gbtrack_01.wav gbtrack_02.wav
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -sao mode.
> cdrecord: If your drive does not accept -sao, try -tao.
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
> defaults.
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a35 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2007 J???rg Schilling
> TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.34
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
> atapi: 1
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 5
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
> Identifikation : 'DVDRAM GSA-H62N '
> Revision       : 'CL00'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
> Current: CD-R
> Profile: DVD-RAM
> Profile: DVD-R sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-R/DL sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-R/DL layer jump recording
> Profile: DVD-RW sequential recording
> Profile: DVD-RW restricted overwrite
> Profile: DVD+RW
> Profile: DVD+R
> [...]

Please try to run cdrecord on a different OS (e.g. Solaris or Win32).

Your mail does not include any hint to the problem but other similar
reports make it highly probable that this is caused by a bug in the Linux
kernel.

There are well known reports that verify that Linux under some conditions
bastardizes the "blank" command before sending iit to the drive. I myself
did see Linux bastardizing the "read toc" command. In my case, booting the
same hardware with Solaris or SCO Unixware did solve the problem.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)