Re: How to "blank" / "zero out" / "nullify" a dvd-rw?

Hi,

me:
> >   cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 blank=fast -sao tsize="$size"s -
> >   cdrecord: Cannot write CD's >= 100 minutes.
Joerg Schilling:
> This is problem I've seen so far only with wodim.
> You should upgrade to recent original software
> install it suid rood

Well, cdrecord-2.01.01a23 is original and not so unrecent.
It is installed setuid root here.
Do you suspect you made changes meanwhile which would
avoid that problem ?

I tried it now with two DVD-RW which were written by
cdrecord-2.01.01a23 in DAO mode to the size of 2297000
sectors resp. to 512000 sectors. Same result.
This works fine:
  cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 blank=fast
  cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -sao tsize="$size"s -
This fails:
  cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 blank=fast -sao tsize="$size"s -

The timing makes me believe that the media capacity is
checked before blanking and thus cdrecord interprets
a media state which will not be present any more at
write time. This test seems to interpret unsuitable
DVD media as exotic CDs.

There is no failure if the DVD-RW is already blank.
I.e. suitable media pass that size check.

I got cdrtools-2.01.01a32 on my TODO list but currently
there is a little traffic jam on that list.
If you cannot reproduce the phenomenon then give me
instructions what to try with 2.01.01a32 in order to
learn about the decisive circumstances.