Re: How to "blank" / "zero out" / "nullify" a dvd-rw?

"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> me:
> > >   cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 blank=fast -sao tsize="$size"s -
> > >   cdrecord: Cannot write CD's >= 100 minutes.
> Joerg Schilling:
> > This is problem I've seen so far only with wodim.
> > You should upgrade to recent original software
> > install it suid rood
>
> Well, cdrecord-2.01.01a23 is original and not so unrecent.
> It is installed setuid root here.
> Do you suspect you made changes meanwhile which would
> avoid that problem ?

Maybe you have a drive with bad firmware?

> There is no failure if the DVD-RW is already blank.
> I.e. suitable media pass that size check.

I am not sure if you know this but a DVD-RW needs to be blank before
writing to it.

> I got cdrtools-2.01.01a32 on my TODO list but currently
> there is a little traffic jam on that list.

> If you cannot reproduce the phenomenon then give me
> instructions what to try with 2.01.01a32 in order to
> learn about the decisive circumstances.

If I did ever see this problem, it would not exist.
Cdrtools is maintained software.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)