Re: cdrecord problems

Rob Bogus <rob23@tmr.com> wrote:

> Yes, and important capability cdrecord still lacks. And a good reason to
> try other software, because most sensible administrators don't want all
> their users having root access. Burning as root is suitable for
> personal, home, and hobby systems, but is not acceptable as a solution
> to application software limitations in a production environment.

Please do not confuse Linux kernel deficits with cdrecord features.

It is the Linux kernel that forces cdrecord to have root privileges.
Cdrecord does it's best to have the needed privs only for a short time
and cdrecord is well audited.

If you don't believe me, it was me who did push Sun to install cdrecord
on Solaris in a way that makes cdrecord the first privileged application that
never needs to be root. This is possible because Sun offers a complete
implementation for fine grained privileges. If the Linux folks would
support similar features, cdrecord had no reason to be root.

> > Hal on Linux is a nightmare. As long as the Linux kernel developers and
> > the developers for hal on Linux do not listen to experienced people, there is
> > little hope that this will ever change.
> >

> If there are problems in hal (and I totally agree there are), they are
> in hal, and it's not a kernel problem if someone writes an ill-behaved
> application and then runs it as root. And I think "nightmare" is an
> exaggeration, "annoyance" might be closer, since hal is not a required
> process.

No, this is a Linux kernel problem. If you like, you may compare the Solaris
sources for hal:

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/hal/

with the ones used on Linux. I would guess that the fact that Linux imlements
multiple paths to the same hardware and the fact that it is not the driver
that sends synchronized test unit ready commands on Linux but hald that causes
the interference problems seen on Linux.

> And all this time I thought it was because everyone else could figure
> out how to do burning on Linux without root and you can't. Or because
> you wanted to claim the problems are in the kernel instead of
> limitations in your own software.

It could help if you did inform yourself about facts instead of believing
uninformed trolls.

It is a matter of facts that the Linux kernel tries it's best to make CD/DVD
recording hard.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)