Re: Problem with Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B

On Fri, 4 May 2007 11:37:50 -0400
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:21:17AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > >http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3513
>
> > Jo"erg constantly complains about bugs in derived versions of
> > cdrecord, and old versions of his software, and hasn't released a stable
> > version in years and tells people to use alpha quality releases.
>
> This is a valid point, and very frustrating -- especially when the stable
> versions also seem to expire after a couple years.  (But in his defense,
> after this happened, I was able to build a cdrecord alpha on my HP-UX 10.20
> box and replace the now-defunct "stable" one.  It works.  Until this one
> expires, anyway.)
>
> (Hmm... y'know what would be handy?  A command line switch to show when
> cdrecord expires.  So I could PLAN for this sort of thing, rather than
> getting called by users saying that they can't burn CDs.)
>
> (Also, a better error message than "Alarm call".)

> > discourage people from trying a released stable kernel before claiming a
> > Linux bug seems pretty hypocritical to me.
>
> There hasn't been a stable Linux kernel release since 2.4.*.  Linux 2.6.*
> is a development series.

Indeed, that's true.  New hardware appears at a furious pace, and thus in many situations using the 2.4 kernel is not an option, but that should not lead to delusions about the 2.6 kernel.  This isn't criticism of the kernel; the rate of changes simply implies that it's a development kernel rather than a stable kernel.