Re: Problem with Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B

Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com> wrote:

> > There hasn't been a stable Linux kernel release since 2.4.*.  Linux 2.6.*
> > is a development series.
>
> Indeed, that's true.  New hardware appears at a furious pace, and thus in many situations using the 2.4 kernel is not an option, but that should not lead to delusions about the 2.6 kernel.  This isn't criticism of the kernel; the rate of changes simply implies that it's a development kernel rather than a stable kernel.

This is the problem I have on Linux.

In August 2004, I did publish cdrtools-2.01final
and a week later Linux did break the kernel interfaces.
It should be obviouy that it is impossible to publish
"stable" software for an unstable OS.

BTW: Every cdrtools release is intended to be a "stable"
release. It makes no sense to take less care for "betas".
There are of course some periods when I introduce new
technology where the probability to observe a bug is higher
than usual, but this is not intended. I do codereviews for
every release before I publish it.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)