Re: problems writing a large file to DVD+R Double Layer disk

Hi,

me:
> >    test -z 1 && for ac_header in dummy
Greg Wooledge:
> I don't understand this "repair".  test -z 1 will always return "false",
> because "1" is not a zero-length string.  So you might as well just comment
> out the "for ac_header in dummy" line altogether.

If i disable the "for" line then the shell
will ask me what i mean with "do". Like:
  bash: syntax error near unexpected token `do'

But if i correct it syntactically so it matches man bash
  "for name [ in word ] ; do list ; done"
and then prevent it from being executed then i hope to
achieve the same effect which the bash implementation on
Linux produces since about 6 years.
The youngest Linux i could find which openly dislikes
  for ac_header in
was a SuSE 7.2 from about 2001.

Nevertheless, you do not need a Solaris to see the produce
of autotools which does not comply to man bash resp.
S.R. Bourne's original description of the shell.
The ./configure script gets produced by autotools command
./bootstrap on Linux systems and it currently contains the
incorrect gesture.

There are two old forms of for-loops:
  for i ; do
  for i in item ... item ; do
I cannot read from any man pages the correctness of
  for i in ; do
which seems to be somehow ignored by modern bash.
Nice gesture. But lets Joerg Schilling think i'd did
not care for bugs.

Old Linux fails, Solaris fails. This "for" is not portable.
autotools claims to produce portable releases. That's why
we have 600+ kB of ./configure shell code, after all.

I don't know wether Joerg downloaded from our SVN and
applied an own ./bootstrap or wether he unpacked a release
tarball. About autotools on Solaris i can't say anything.
But autotools on Linux produces a problematic ./configure .

Well, it does not matter much. libburn won't compile on
Solaris unless there would be a Linux sg emulator. With
/dev/sg and ioctls and all. (Is there ?)
Usually one has to program an adapter to the operating
systems's lowlevel SCSI facilities. This remains handwork
and demands some system knowledge.

> It seems more likely that there's really some sort of mistake *before*
> the "for" loop, which would mean tracking backward through 20000 lines
> of ./configure code to try to find it... good luck with that.

I got an antiquity online (some SuSE 6.x):
  $ uname -a
  Linux * 2.2.13 #1 Mon Nov 8 15:51:29 CET 1999 i686 unknown
  $ for i in ; do echo $i ; done
  bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
  $ for i in
  bash: syntax error near unexpected token `in'
  $ for i in 1
  > do echo $i
  > done
  1