Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Joerg Schilling schrieb am 2006-02-16:

> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
>
> > >Filtering SCSI commands was an unannounced change of the interface
> > >that needs to be called a bug. I still do not see any fix for this.
> > >

> > Unannounced? It was in LKML, it was in the changelog, it was discussed
> > in multiple places, it was in the source code... where was it unannounced?
>
> It seems that you missd the fact that it has been introduced 2 weeks before
> cdrtools-2.01-final came out and people on LKML did complain that I did not
> cause cdrtools to become unstable from introducing untested code.

Well, the dependency is pretty clear, cdrecord doesn't have a say as to
what the kernel does or leaves. It's not like a newly released kernel
would run instantly on 50% of the Linux systems, it usually takes a few
month until it hits the distributions.

> Announced (in case of an incompatible change) means:
>
> -	prominent developers of code that uses the interface that is to
> 	be changed need to be informed a sufficent time _before_ the
> 	incompatible change is applied.

You're asking too much here. At the time the change was introduced, all
that was needed was adding /dev/hd* to the scan list and the LF_ATA
workaround (BTW, you still haven't explained what LF_ATA inside libscg
is good for, I asked many days ago).

> In general, it would make Linux a mature project if such changes would be
> discussed for being reasonable with other people ( e.g. with experienced
> programmers like me).

It's good that you only attribute "experienced" and not other
adjectives to yourself here. One might otherwise get the idea you were
boasting with the scarcely documented code...

--
Matthias Andree