Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

Joerg Schilling wrote:

scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:

Let me take the occasion to show to you the due politeness and respect by informing you in advance about my upcoming cdrecord
compatibility wrapper around libburn: cdrskin .

What kind of advantage should this have?

Cdrecord is opensource and portable to 30 different platforms.

A problem is that the frontends want to see some words
like "Cdrecord" and "Copyright" in order to recognize a
program as cdrecord compatible. So i have to issue something like
 cdrskin 0.1.1 : limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn
 Cdrecord 2.01-Emulation Copyright (C) 2006, see libburn + cdrskin

After K3b made from this line out of cdrskin's first -version text
 "Cdrecord-Emulation 2.01 Copyright (C) 2006 Thomas Schmitt"
the following text line

Why do you spend time on this?
What problem does it solve that cannot be solved by cdrecord?

I'm sorry you don't get it, DVD has passed by CD, and you have your Pro version with funky license, not quite commercial, not quite free, definitely not open source. If you had added DVD capability to the free cdrecord, I suspec that there would be no competition. The Pro version does the job well enough that there is little reason to have another. But you decided that "if you would do DVD you must jump through hoops," and people decided that "no source" was too tight a hoop and it was better to write something else.

You have a great understanding of how burning should work and be done, and far less how people work. I'm really sorry to see that, your software is still very good, your people skills are still poor, which is why people don't want to work with you, accept your ideas, etc. You have told too many people "do it my why because I'm smarter than you are" and people are no longer listening.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc