Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

And in case you also missunderstood forks: A fork is a _working_ and
_maintained_ modified version of a program. What you see with the bastardized cdrtools versions on Linux is neither working nor maintained, it is just a result of the religion of the makers who seem to ingnore the wishes of the users because they do not fix the bugs they introduced.
Oh, FFS. Give it a rest, Joerg. Most of the work that the various
Linux distro people have done on cdrtools is to fix real bugs that you
won't acknowledge. Sometimes users simply want things to work on their
systems, rather than random Solaris advocacy...

Should this be a joke?

Please tell me why an unmodified cdrecord runs best on Linux and
why > 90% of all bugs on the Debian bug tracking system for cdrtools are caused by the modifications done by Debian.

1 - "runs best" is meaningless without metrics
2 - because people report bugs in the base code to the author (you) not Debian?

I fix all bugs that are verifiably caused by cdrecord and I try to find workarounds for all OS bugs. People just need to send a usable bug report.

AFAIK that's correct, but you did not and should not claim "promptly" there, another reason why vendor versions are used by many.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc