Re: dvd+rw-tools update [6.0, DVD-R DL]

Hi,

> > Would it be possible to get a ring buffer size option ?
>
> -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:8m or whatever larger than 1m you consider
> appropriate.

Embarrassingly i looked for new Lukes but did not scroll
far down enough.

Do i get it right that minimum buffer size is 1 MB
and that actually powers of 2 get into effect ?
Will this latter restriction stay ? (The jump between 64
and 128 MB might be a bit coarse.)

If this power-of-2 restriction stays, then my own fifo
might have a reason to live forth even with growisofs 6.
(For version 5 it is a fine enhancement, anyway.)

While reading the preamble of growisofs.c:THR_TYPE reader
i congratulate myself that i only strived for a select-based
fifo and not for a multi-threaded one.
"quantum yield" ... and i believed IT was deterministic.

> > What about  -use-the-force-luke=noload  ?
>
> I'll have to look into it...

My original problem report is at:
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/cdwrite/2004/11/msg00094.html

> > Is there still the old reason not to leave the tray in
> > after writing under any circumstances ?
>
> I suppose we're talking about Linux

Yep.

> I can check latest Linux kernel sources...

If the remedy is recent i cannot rely on it anyway.
I'll stay with the eject.
If i just can prevent the re-load and my following eject
then it will be fine. Daring people may set my stuff to
"notray" but that's on their own risk then.

> Tray reload is meant to purge the block buffer, which [if not purged]
> can appear as corrupted data to user. I don't recall any freezes... I

March 2003. Our first contact. growisofs 5.2.
I had half a day to learn about two fat PCs with a DVD+RW
burner each. My first encounter with DVD and i was prepared
for a CD-RW burner only. growisofs saved my face in front
of the customer. It was very helpful to have the other PC ready
while the first one was rebooting.

Those problems have never been reported again since the
reload procedure has been introduced in growisofs.
My wrapper script does eject too. But given my old
experiences i feel very comfortable with growisofs
taking care for my kernel's health additionally.

> > Some reports about experiences and recommendable growisofs
> > options for DL media would be welcome.
>
> Is this the question to me?

Yes, but not exclusively. :))

I don't have a DL burner and i don't use non-RW media.
So i have not much opportunity to gain own DL experience.
On the other hand, the users of my backup tool got DL
burners and ask me how to configure for them.
My current advice is: set scdbackup's volume size to
8500m and hope for the best.
But obviously the prices for DL media are still repelling.
I got not a single user reply telling me about actual
success or failure.

> Which is why I think that the question should target the
> community, not me personally.

It hereby does.
Anybody who can contribute anectdotes about growisofs,
cdrecord-ProDVD and DL media is invited to tell.
I believe this is of general interest.

> > I received some questions
> > about DL from my users recently and could only point to the changelist
> > in growisofs.c 5.21.
>
> Now you lost me. 5.2x supports only DVD+R DL, while I thought we were
> discussing DVD-R DL.

Sorry for being confusing. I have to catch up one year of
growisofs topics. :))
The user questions were in general about DL media. My standard
answer was that growisofs.c 5.21 refers to DVD+R DL and that it
looks as if there were no special precautions needed ...

> As far as DVD+R DL goes, everything that applies to
> DVD+R applies to DVD+R DL

... and luckily that statement seems to have been the right one.