Re: dvd+rw-tools: DVD-RW discs are burned as "protected" on LG GSA-4163B

Joerg Schilling wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

I gave up playing with the ATA: and ATAPI: stuff long ago, regardless of the whining about support for device names being "unintentional" there's intentional code in there to support it, and I've been using it for so long I can't remember what problems I ever had with the pseudo-SCSI methods.

You are reading this list long enough to know that this is just an information
about non-userfriendly interfaces in Linux. If you like them to disappear, talk with the Linux Kernel folks and educate them how to implement clean and
orthogonal interfaces. I finally gave up with the Linux Kernel people, they seem
to be unable to have target oriented discussion and don't like to make Linux user fiendly.

Note that with cdrtools-2.01.01a20, you no longer need to specify the "dev="
parameter if you have only one CD/DVD drive and if the OS is user friendly.
This applies to Solaris, FreeBSD, BeOS, HP-UX, IRIX, MS-WIN, NextSTep,
SCO-UnixWare, SCO-OpenServer.

Cdrecord will on these OS just scan the SCSI address space for possible drives and use the one if exactly one is found.

Note that the most user-friendly of all, Linux, which has specified ALL cd devices for years in /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info, is not on the above list. Linux includes SCSI, IDE, Firewire, USB, and SATA on the list. The problem is that Linux long ago saw reality and realized that most users didn't think in terms of SCSI numbers, particularly not when the devices were not SCSI, so they switched to names.

Of course if cdrtools wanted to be really user friendly it would look for /dev/dvd and /dev/cdwriter so that even if multiple devices were present the user's preferred device, as shown by the link, would be used by default.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc