dvd+rw-tools: DVD-RW discs are burned as "protected" on LG GSA-4163B

Hello,

I have a problem with burning DVD-Video on a DVD-RW media. Burned discs
won't play on most software and hardware players. While it plays in Windows
Media Player, it won't play in VLC on Windows, neither VLC or Xine or
Mplayer on Linux, and won't play on any standalone player I tried.

I usually burn DVD-R media, which works OK, but this time I am trying to
master a DVD with family videos, which is the reason why I have choosen -RW
media. I started investigating the problem, as the other option would be a
landfill of wasted DVD-Rs :)

When I try to play the -RW disc on mplayer, or xine, or vlc, the following
lines appear in terminal:

libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/dvd with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading

So I tried again with DVDCSS_VERBOSE=2:

libdvdcss debug: opening target `/dev/dvd'
libdvdcss debug: using libc for access
libdvdcss debug: disc is scrambled
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: ioctl ReportAgid failed, invalidating AGID 0
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: ioctl ReportAgid failed, invalidating AGID 1
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: ioctl ReportAgid failed, invalidating AGID 2
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss debug: ioctl ReportAgid failed, invalidating AGID 3
libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
libdvdcss error: ioctl ReportAgid failed, fatal
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/dvd with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading

The line "libdvdcss debug: disc is scrambled" caught my attention. After a
bit of digging in libdvdcss sources, kernel sources, and MMC commands
documentation, it seems to me libcss gets the information that the disc is
protected by sending "READ DISC STRUCTURE" command to the drive, and the
drive gets it from the disc. Nero Infotool recognizes the protection
as "CPRM".

Is it somehow possible to remove this protection? I noticed in MMC
documentation, that there is also "SEND DISC STRUCTURE" command, and you
can send some "Copyright Management Information" with it. Couldn't it be
used to mark the disc as not protected?

Best regards