Re: cdrecord: problem in auto-formatting blank DVD+RW

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 12:59:31 +0100, Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de
(Joerg Schilling) wrote:

>> 1) running cdrecord on a maiden DVD+RW  (does not auto-format)
>This is not true, see below...

>> 2) Using "cdrecord -format" on a maiden DVD+RW
>>
>> It will format the media OK, even if it says "Format was not needed" before
>> formatting.
>
>So there is no problem _inside_ cdrecord!
>
>Your problem is either caused by rotten media or by a problem in the
>formware of your drive.
>

>Cdrecord uses the official method to check for maiden DVD+RW media.

I don't know what method cdrecord uses, what I'm saysing is that
dvd+rw-mediainfo correctly detects when a DVD+RW is maiden, while cdrecord
seems to fail to do it.

If I read you correctly you're saying that cdrecord uses the
correct/official method and fails to detect a maiden dvd+rw due to medium/fw
problems, while dvd+rw-mediainfo uses a non-standard method and succeeds. If
this is the case I think cdrecord would benefit in using the
"non-standard"/working method together with the official one, in order to
work-around problematic firmwares.

Is there a quick way to test if cdrecord thinks a dvd+rw is maiden or not,
without issuing a format or write command? Ie, is there a command like
"-atip" or similar which will prints out if the dvd+rw is maiden?

Thanks
--
giulioo@pobox.com