Re: cdrecord: problem in auto-formatting blank DVD+RW

Giulio Orsero <giulioo@gmail.com> wrote:

> linux-2.4, cdrecord-2.01.01a09
> PHILIPS ' 'DVD+-RW DVD8801 ' '4D28'
> Manufacturer:    'MBIPG101'
> Media type:      'W04'
>
> Cannot upgrade cdrecord due to
> http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2006/10/msg00098.html
> however I don't see anything in the changelog that would solve my problem.
> ===============
>

> cdrecord man page says "-format" is ony needed if you want to forcibly
> format a DVD+RW since cdrecord will autodetect maiden DVD+RW media and
> format it automatically.
>
> In my experience cdrecord behavior is different:
>
> 1) running cdrecord on a maiden DVD+RW  (does not auto-format)

This is not true, see below...

> ^MTrack 01:    0 of    1 MB written.cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1:
> scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 30 05 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible format) Fru
> 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 0.003s timeout 100s
> cdrecord: A write error occured.
> cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.
>

> 2) Using "cdrecord -format" on a maiden DVD+RW
>
> It will format the media OK, even if it says "Format was not needed" before
> formatting.

So there is no problem _inside_ cdrecord!

Your problem is either caused by rotten media or by a problem in the
formware of your drive.

> 4) Now I use a script that will check if a DVD+RW medium is maiden and then
> use "cdrecord -format" before the actual "cdrecord -data ..." command.
> Is there a way to see if a medium is maiden using cdrecord? Right know I use
> dvd+rw-mediainfo and check for
> 	Disc status: blank

Cdrecord uses the official method to check for maiden DVD+RW media.

If you have a method that works in your non-standard case too, you are welcome.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)