Re: a NERO user familiar with backing up data on multisession CDR, how do I do it in Linux too?

在 2006-09-17日的 13:44 +0200,Joerg Schilling写道:
> Patrick Ohly <Patrick.Ohly@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > A while ago I wanted to do the same thing and to make it possible with
> > mkisofs I added the --root/--old-root command line options. The only
> > difference compared to your method is that each day ends up being a
> > separate directory, so by mounting the last session you have access to
> > each snapshot of the week at once. Unchanged files are still only stored
> > on the disc once.
>
> Did you test whether these options still work with the recent mkisofs versions?
>
> In order to replace the problematic GNU getopt_long, 3000 lines of code need to
> be changed and I am still looking for people who look for bugs that have been
> introduced as a result of the changes.

As I don't have enough context knowledge I hereby have the following
questions:
     1. is it true that Patrick Ohly added --root/--old-root options to
        mkisofs? Is this modification done to mkisofs official source or
        on the Debian package? Which version since mkisofs release
        software with the two options enabled?
     2. And is it true Jörg is looking for people who test the version
        of mkisofs with the two new options? If I am using stable
        Debian, should I upgrade to unstable to be able to test Jörg's
        latest version of mkisofs which has the new feature (of removing
        and modifying previous session) implemented?
     3. growisofs already have these features? If I move to backup with
        DVD, do I must use growisofs, or simply keep on using mkisofs is
        enough?

Thank you!