Re: a NERO user familiar with backing up data on multisession CDR, how do I do it in Linux too?

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 15:19 +0800, 张韡武 wrote:
[incremental backups with multisession]
> This is actually very convenient for me, each CDR is labeled with week
> number and project category name. If the manager ask for files on Jan
> 12th in the training project, I go to find the CDR in training project
> backup CDs, find that week's backup, figure out 12th is a Thursday, thus
> mount the 4th session.

A while ago I wanted to do the same thing and to make it possible with
mkisofs I added the --root/--old-root command line options. The only
difference compared to your method is that each day ends up being a
separate directory, so by mounting the last session you have access to
each snapshot of the week at once. Unchanged files are still only stored
on the disc once.

These options are now included in the standard mkisofs. For a usage
example see the attached script. It uses growisofs to burn writable DVD,
but the same method also works with cdrecord + writable CD.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly