Re: mkisofs gives 'file too large for defined data type' error on 4.3GB file

Rob Bogus wrote:
Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

Hi,

How can I write a single file to a DVD+R(W)? I tried to use mkisofs's -stream-media-size 2291000 option (2291000 giving me just under the DVD's full capacity), but it would not work (after 500MB, it would stop reading standard input.) Buggy to say the least.

I think you want to reread the man pages. If you want to create an ISO image you don't need the option, and if you just want to write the file you don't want to use mkisofs at all. Your misunderstanding of what the software does is not a bug.

Instead of not telling me that 'the file is too big', it goes into some sort of chaotic behaviour where it keeps on outputting an iso image while also blocking tar's input. If that is standard behaviour, I'll eat my hat. If the software doesn't support something, it should give an error message, not start off working correctly and then randomly start exhibiting undefined behaviour.

I want to write the file, but also would like to have it available in a form that can be mounted if necessary - it can't so I'll make do.

So, I thought - let's just make a 4.3 GB file. And when mkisofs tries to read it, I get the 'file too large for defined data type' message. Great.

Let's see, is 4.3 larger than 2? Did you read the doc on what you can do with iso9660 filesystems and the limits on individual files? Doesn't sound like it.

How do you suppose I got information about the -stream-media-size option if I didn't read the man pages? Anyway, I'm trying to make UDF image, NOT iso9660. I read the bit about the 'UDF structures linked to Joilet', but didn't think UDF was also linked to iso9660 as well. Isn't there a utility that can make proper UDF images?

Can I just do a growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrw=/tmp/dvd-bak-1.tar or something? Then wouild a 'tar --multi-volume -t -f /dev/dvdrw' access the archive? I really need to do this backup soon, since I haven't done one since setting up my new Gentoo system.

That you can do, although getting tar to create one volume at a time may be interesting, and creating all at once will require a lot of disk. On the other hand, I have been unable to get growisofs to burn a stream from stdin lately, since I have a new o/s version, new distro, and new growisofs version I have put chasing that one on the list of things to do when I can't find a workaround

I have successfully done this now.

I'm getting tar to output to a named pipe. I just do a 'growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrw=/bak/dvd-bak.pipe' and it works fine. when tar asks for the next 'tape', I just put in a new disk and execute the same command and it works great.

.

Help...