-reply:<4401044A.9030403@qazi.f2s.com>

Hi,

> How can I write a single file to a DVD+R(W)? I tried to use
> mkisofs's -stream-media-size 2291000 option

Are you sure to have tried the example from man mkisofs
properly ? (Replacing the star command by appropriate tar.)
  % star -c . | mkisofs -stream-media-size 333000 | \
    cdrecord dev=b,t,l -dao tsize=333000s -

If so, the failure might be worth a bug report.

> Can I just do a growisofs -Z /dev/dvdrw=/tmp/dvd-bak-1.tar or something?

Yes. After all, a tar-archive can stand for itself.
I do not wrap my afio- or star-archives into an
ISO filesystem and they are nicely readable afterwards.

>  Then
> wouild a 'tar --multi-volume -t -f /dev/dvdrw' access the archive?

Besides the --multi-volume : yes.

I do not know wether tar needs a neat EOF from the media
(which it won't get from CD or DVD in most cases) or wether
it is able to recognize the end of a multi-part on its own.

You will have problems to produce a multi-volume archive anyway
because you will surely lack of a decent end-of-tape at write
time. So better keep your archives small enough to fit on a
single media.

I know two backup projects which cater for multi-volume on
optical media.
Paul Serice's shunt:  http://www.serice.net/shunt/
My scdbackup       :  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/main_eng.html
Be advised to have a look at both projects. They offer quite
different services and results.

scdbackup uses afio or star format but can be talked into
using tar, too.  For your purposes the following would be
one of several possible solutions:
  tar czf - ... | sdvdbackup -pipe_to_media -multi_volume
Ask me for support if needed.

> Also, the mailing list won't let me subscribe to it.  I've tried several
> different addresses through the http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/ page, and
> nothing happens.

That page was already broken when i subscribed a few years ago.
Obviously it is a kind of initiating ritual to get fooled by it.
>From the headers of the list mail:

So you are supposed to mail subject "subscribe" to
cdwrite-request@other.debian.org