Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:

> Did you understand my paragraph you quoted?
> I'll take it apart for you:

> 1. I am not interested in your operating systems "known to work",
>    and you know as much. Installing OSs may be your hobby, it's not
>    one of mine.

> 2. I am not interested in hearing what OS you consider working
>    anyways, since that changes daily.

> 3. FreeBSD 6-STABLE works for me. SUSE Linux 10.0 does not.

If you have a chrystal orb that tells you that FreeBSD does not work around a specific firmware or hardware issue and that FreeBSD does not only work with your configuration due to a workaround of some kind, then please tell me where I could get one, such an orb would be very helpful against Plextor.

If you do not have such an orb, you will have to perform more tests, like running on a system where someone can exactly tell you what it is doing internally, like disconnecting a drive and checking what happens, like reducing UDMA transfer speed (at least in case your IDE controller allows UDMA/25 or UDMA/16).

You asked for a solution that is easier than debugging this behaviour. If you don't want to debug it, then you will have to produce some test results in order to find out if the problem is a bug in Linux' DMA transfers, or rather a missing workaround for a weird hardware behaviour.

Some chipsets are known to suck and are known to work with UDMA only under special circumstances and with a lot of code to work around chipset bugs (VIA KT133A for example). I don't know if your chipset has known DMA bugs, but no one will be able to tell you if you don't perform some tests.

Alexander