Re: Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

"Alexander Noe'" <alexander.noe@s2001.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
>
>  > I'm not interested in "known to work", but as the drive works with
>  > FreeBSD 6-STABLE, is there a better way to isolate the problem than
>  > running readcd with -v -V -d under strace(1) supervision?
>
> Change the UDMA mode to a lower setting and try again. Try a better
> IDE cable and try again.
>
> Last time I tried, NEC drives didn't work with crappy IDE cables.
> Also, if the cable is 90cm and the Plextor is connected to the 60cm
> connector of that cable, the Plextor drive being working correctly
> doesn't allow the conclusion that the cable is OK. Even worse, some
> combinations of 2 specific drives on the same cable makes one of them
> malfunction -> disconnect the Plextor and try again.

This kind of problems have frequently been reported with Linux and Pioneer
drives. These problems could be traced back to UDMA handling problems in Linux.

What kind of problems are you talking of?
Did you also observe drive reported problems?

As the problem is most likely DMA related, it still makes sense to boot
SchilliX as he only needs to run readcd after a less than one minute boot
from the Life CD.

Solaris gives nice console (or /var/adm/messages) output in case of ATA
UDMA errors that max be detected on the host side.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)