Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Joerg Schilling wrote:

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:

status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x08 Qual 0x00 (logical unit communication failure) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 123748
cmd finished after 6.422s timeout 40s
readcd: Success. Cannot read source disk
readcd: Retrying from sector 49.
Did you try this on a platform that is known to work?
I'm not interested in "known to work", but as the drive works with
FreeBSD 6-STABLE, is there a better way to isolate the problem than
running readcd with -v -V -d under strace(1) supervision?

In case you don't understand "known to work", I refer to Operating systems
that don't have SCSI related issues for a time that is long enough. I currently know of two platforms that would fall into this category: MS-WIN
and Solaris.

I have the impression that you are using Linux and Linux definitely does not fall into this category (since ~ 2001, no SCSI bug I am aware of has been fixed in Linux). In case of unknown problems, it makes sense to change things in order to find the reason.

Then you should go back and read your own postings! The bug allowing unfiltered SCSI commands to devices was fixed and you complained about it for two years. You were very aware of it.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc