Re: "logical unit communication failure" c2scan NEC ND-4550A 1.07

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> wrote:

> > I have the impression that you are using Linux and Linux definitely
> > does not fall into this category (since ~ 2001, no SCSI bug I am aware of has
> > been fixed in Linux). In case of unknown problems, it makes sense to change
> > things in order to find the reason.
>
> Yes, Linux. Is the problem known to you? Did you file a bug report yet?
> If so, I'll just quote the URL to the right parties.

Of course I reported the bug, but you may know that Linux bugs are not fixed.

And you have even been a a witness of one related case: THe Linux people do e.g.
refuse to investigate in the Linux kernel problem that results in bastardized
SCSI commands on the way from libscg to the drive. So please don't tell me that
you are not aware of the problem.

> > As the problem is most likely DMA related, it still makes sense to boot
> > SchilliX as he only needs to run readcd after a less than one minute boot
> > from the Life CD.
>
> Not interested. See assertion 3. above.

OK, if you are not interested in further investigation let us conclude that
you like to stop this conversation.

> > > As UDMA/33 works properly for everything else like growisofs reading or
> >
> > 80 or 40 wire cable?
>
> I don't know, and I don't care, because it doesn't matter: the cable is
> <45cm (I'm not buying longer ATA cables) and both devices are limited to
> UDMA/33 by design.

Another evidence that you are unwilling to find a real solution.
I am sorry, but it seems that we need to stop further discussions
because you are not interested in a solution.

> > > writing a DVD (16X) or such, and FreeBSD (same computer, multi-boot)
> > > manages -c2scan just fine with UDMA/33, I'd not look for hardware faults
> > > here. It's rather an incompatibility between cdrecord and Linux or a
> > > libscg or Linux bug.
> >
> > This bug is outside the scope of libscg.
>
> That remains to be investigated.

Wrong: obvious things do not need to be investigated.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)