Re: cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> >Should this be a joke?
> >
> >Please tell me why an unmodified cdrecord runs best on Linux and
> >why > 90% of all bugs on the Debian bug tracking system for cdrtools
> >are caused by the modifications done by Debian.
> >

> 1 - "runs best" is meaningless without metrics

There are metrics: All people who complained about problem in the Debian
buglist that have been contacetd by me are now happiliy running an unmodified
version without problems.

> 2 - because people report bugs in the base code to the author (you) not
> Debian?

Most of the bug reports on Debian are against Debian caused bugs.

> >I fix all bugs that are verifiably caused by cdrecord and I try to find
> >workarounds for all OS bugs. People just need to send a usable bug report.
> >
> AFAIK that's correct, but you did not and should not claim "promptly"
> there, another reason why vendor versions are used by many.

I don't understand.

Well sometimes Linux vendors use the well known ring-indication from the
pharama industry:

You have itching -> take pill a
	pill a causes loss of hair -> take pill b
				pill b causes pain in the neck -> take pill c
					pill c causes itch...go to top.

If you think the same way as debian and try to fix problems of other pograms
inside cdrecord, you end up in the mess you find on Debian.

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)