cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c

This post regards Debian cdrtools cdrecord/cdrecord.c.
It may be old news to you.  If so, ignore it; no reply
is needed.  If it does interest you, however, please
copy replies to me.

Two years ago, one of the early DVD+-R adopters started
a long thread [1] on this list re the cdrecord error

    cdrecord.mmap: Cannot get disk type.

Lacking a DVD burner then, I paid no attention to the
thread at the time, but recently I have met the error
myself.  Knowing nothing about cdrtools internals, I
have hacked cdrecord/cdrecord.c to comment this one
comexit() line out of the source:

 	if ((*dp->cdr_getdisktype)(scgp, dp) < 0) {
 		errmsgno(EX_BAD, "Cannot get disk type.\n");
 		if ((flags & F_FORCE) =3D=3D 0)
-			comexit(EX_BAD);
+;//			comexit(EX_BAD);
 	}

This is a gross hack, of course; but the weird thing is,
it seems to have solved my problem.  I can record DVD-Rs
now.  The burned images seem perfect: the md5sums match.
Gross the hack may be, but oddly it works in my case.
The hack evinces no obvious unpleasant side effects (for
instance, the hacked program still exits with a proper
error code when one tries to burn -dao on an
already-burned disk).  What do you think of this?  I
delete the comexit(); this fixes the problem; it causes
no obvious new problem.  If this is right, then what was
that comexit() doing in the code in the first place?

Now, I don't know anything.  I am not claiming that
Joerg, Joerg, Eduard or Steve should consider applying
my patch.  I just thought that I would mention that,
surprisingly, the patch seemed to solve my own problem.

I have not tried -tao burning, incidentally; I have
tried only -dao.

The source used is the cdrtools_2.01+01a01-2.dsc
distributed with sarge r0, with Eduard Bloch's and
Andreas Metzler's "dvd=3Dyes" patch applied.  (I looked
at the latest cdrtools_2.01+01a03-5.dsc, too, but I
haven't actually tried compiling my hack on it.)  The
driver is "sg", i386 Linux kernel 2.6.8.  The DVD
burner, if relevant, is a Pioneer DVR-110D.

If this is old news to you, please spend no time
replying.  Ignore it.  It's not important.  I'll forget
about it almost as soon as you do.  However, if you did
happen to find it interesting, then I would like to
learn what you thought about it.  In the latter case,
please reply.

--
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road