Re: Problem writing DVD-R's under Debian

    ED> hi, i will try to help.

Thanks for responding!

    >> # dmesg | tail
    >> hdc: rw=0, want=68, limit=4 isofs_fill_super: bread failed,
    >> dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

    ED> when i got errors like this and could not mount, it meant that
    ED> the files or data was not in ISO format. maybe something in
    ED> your command created a different file system. another thing,
    ED> you do need the joliet option. i use joliet-long just in case.

Well, I am not sure about that.  Since I can't read anything from the
DVD there is no way I can tell.  It does appear that growisofs went
through the motions of doing its job and took a while.  I also tried
with and without joliet but to no avail.  Thomas suggested (off-list)
that I try other media.  I'll do that and check if it helps any.

    ED> here is what i use to collect the data, and then to burn the
    ED> dvd.

    ED> rsync -avFur --exclude /tmp --exclude /proc --exclude /sys
    ED> --exclude /usr / /tmp/data

    ED> then burn the cd:

    ED> growisofs -Z /dev/hdd -R -joliet-long -overburn /tmp/data/

OK, thanks for the tip.  If new media does not work, I'll experiment
with this.

Thanks again.  I'll let the list know if other media works.

cheers,
prabhu