LBA 8d0h / LUN 8d0h

I am now quite possibly that largest producer of coasters in Southern
Arkansas. (mostly due to sheer stubborness).  On a 64 bit machine using k3b
as the front end and growisofs as the backend.  On a box that had consistantly
been burning dvd's suddenly it has ceased.   Dropping the speed down to 1 has
no positive results either.  The disks to the best of my knowledge are a good
brand (I've burned over 300 dvd's, both data and video). The errors are
different but very similar ( 8d0h is the common denominator).

Is there a way to check to see if my burner has given up the ghost?  Or might
this be a problem cause its on a 64?

error from when I try to burn from an iso image.

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/tmp/kde-rcaban/K3b data project.iso of=/dev/hdc
obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 1.0x1385KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=8d0h failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=04h]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error
/dev/hdc: flushing cache
/dev/hdc: updating RMA
/dev/hdc: closing session

error from when I try to burn a video from video_ts files or a dvd data disk.

:-! "COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR"@LBA=8d0h. Is media being read?
:-! the LUN appears to be stuck at 8d0h, retrying in 5 secs...
   4620288/4665380864 ( 0.1%) @0.0x, remaining 2858:09

it also reports an error while trying to create an iso image when it tries to
do it on the fly.

Thanks for the aid

Roy F. Cabaniss