Re: Liteon 1693S stopped working with growisofs after upgrading firmware

Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

Johann Schwarz wrote:

I have risky news for you!

Look at: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=152583

and then: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1693S

What do you think?

Johann: I value my warranty thanks :-)

Unless you fear that the firmware would render the drive incapable of reflashing back to the vendor firmware I wouldn't worry overly about that. I agree you don't want to ignore the issue, but vendors expect you to reflash, so in itself that wouldn't void the waranty.

No thanks. What if I flash to a modified version of KS0A, and need to go back to vanilla KS0A? What if I need to send the drive back under the warranty due to a mechanical flaw? I'm not about to screw around with firmware upgrades if I can get around it. By get around it, I mean burn on Windows.

That was what I meant, you clearly expect the modified version to somehow prevent you from going back and reflashing some earlier vendor version. Given the total lack of reports of this problem, I think you're very close to the line between caution and paranoia. You run an opensource app, using open source drivers, in an open source O/S, and you worry about non-commercial firmware messing up your drive to the point that you can't reflash back.

Enjoy Windows.

bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc