Re: Liteon 1693S stopped working with growisofs after upgrading firmware

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:

Johann Schwarz wrote:

Hello!

I have risky news for you!

Look at: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=152583

and then: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SOHW-1693S

What do you think?

Johann: I value my warranty thanks :-)

Unless you fear that the firmware would render the drive incapable of reflashing back to the vendor firmware I wouldn't worry overly about that. I agree you don't want to ignore the issue, but vendors expect you to reflash, so in itself that wouldn't void the waranty.

No thanks. What if I flash to a modified version of KS0A, and need to go back to vanilla KS0A? What if I need to send the drive back under the warranty due to a mechanical flaw? I'm not about to screw around with firmware upgrades if I can get around it. By get around it, I mean burn on Windows.

I still think that growisofs should be updated to fix this problem. I mean, NERO works in Windows, so there must be a way growisofs can be patched to fix the issue.

It would be nice if every hardware manufacturer conformed to standards rigidly such that we didn't have to write any custom code for non-conforming hardware, but in the real world we do have to unfortunately.

Thanks,
      Asfand Yar