Re: Why burnfree is off by default?

Matthias Andree wrote:
> "ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es" <ROBERTOJIMENOCA@terra.es> writes:
> > Matthias Andree wrote:
> >>
> >> "Burn-proof", "Burnfree", "Just Link", "Seamless Link" or however the
> >> vendor of the day call their technique to interrupt a streaming write
> >> and pick up later where they left off always trash a few bits, it's not
> >> a perfect seamless link - the LASER needs to be switched from reading
> >> power
to writing power, the exact position needs to be used, and this
> >> isn't trivial.
> >>
> >> If I recall correctly, the
> > first generation of these techniques could
> >> "cost" near 50 bits, later ones 14 bits, I'm not sure how many bits are
> >> trashed by current implementations. "bit" here refers to either pit or
> >> land as the actual physical smallest bit of information.
> >>
> >> While the various coding layers of forward error correction codes can
> >> fix some broken bits, this also means that you are already using
> >> correcting capability for the "link", and this capability
is no longer
> >> available (already used up) to compensate for scratches, air bubbles in
> >> the polycarbonate, aging material or just a random error.
> >>
> >> For this reason it's best to not use these link capabilities but write a
> >> continuous stream. I presume that might have been a reason to leave this
> >> feature off by default. Reducing write speed is often a better
> >> alternative, and you have a -dummy mode...
> >
> > You mean that even if there's no buffer underrun the 50 bits or 14 bits
> > are always lost in writes around the disk?
>
> These bits are lost each time
Burnproof (or whatever its name) kicks in
> because the buffer has run empty.

So, If Burnproof doesn't kick in the disk is standard and if Burnproof
kicks cdrecord just could say when the cd is burned:
"Burnproof was used in this CD. Warning your CD may not be standard."

> > Otherwise that could be always left on by default and warn the user when
> > the disk write is completed that the disk used burnfree at least once
> > and may not be conformant.
>
> Well, you can use /etc/default/cdrecord to that extent. I'm using this
> on Linux 2.6 (it also sets the buffer size to 64 MB) to achieve
that:

> CDR_DEVICE=plex
> plex=   /dev/hdd        -1      64m     burnfree
> nec=    /dev/hdc        -1      64m     burnfree

We are talking about upstream defaults. My grandma always has a hard
time she has to change anything in etc with a text editor.

So, is there any reason out there to have an option that disables or
enables burnfree and just have burnfree always on by default?

Prueba el Nuevo Correo Terra; Seguro, R�pido, Fiable.