Re: Why burnfree is off by default?

Volker Kuhlmann <hidden@paradise.net.nz> writes:

> So you think it's better to produce a definite coaster, as opposed to a
> CD which will probably work? I don't.

That's a matter of preference. I still have it on by default and do a C2
scan (I have no drive capable of C1 scans) if I see that the buffer had
run empty (which rarely happens, sudo cdrecord ...).

> If you're concerned, you can always check afterwards whether burnfree
> was needed. Of course you get better CDs without burnfree being used,
> but that is a small problem when compared with buying blanks by price.

Proper hardware and configuration prevent coasters in the first
place. Most coasters I produced were my own clumsiness. When sharing the
IDE writer's channel with a sleeping HDD, trying to read from that disk
is just plain stupid because it blocks the channel for 5 - 10 seconds
(which are worth 10 to 60 MB, I know no writer with buffers that large).

> According to Jörg, the feature is off by default to ensure continuity
> and compatibility with <whatever I've forgotten and don't care about>.
> In my opinion, not a competent reason.

Aside from your right to your own opinion, what does it matter if you
can override the default?

--
Matthias Andree