Re: cdrecord doesn't appear to support high speed media (4x-12x)

On Sunday 05 June 2005 10:40 pm, Rob Bogus wrote:
> Steven Friedrich wrote:
> >I'm running FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE and I have a Toshiba SD-R5002 (DVD-RW)
> >but I'm using it to create a CD.  High speed media, i.e., Memorex 4x-12x
> >doesn't generate any error messages until I try to mount it.  Memorex
> > 1x-4x media works fine.  I even tried speed=4 with cdrecord when using
> > the high speed media, but it fails in same fashion.
>
> Since I burn 40x all the time using Linux and cdrecord, I think you look
> in the wrong place for the problem. In the order I think most likely:
>  1 - drive firmware
>  2 - media
>  3 - BSD not configured properly for the operation
> and only then
>  4 - some obscure cdrecord bug which doesn't hit Linux and Solaris users
>
> >Under FreeBSD ports, the description for cdrecord gives this web site:
> >http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/privat
> >e/cdrecord.html but it's no longer there.
>
> I would like to hear more about that...
I went to sdd.toshiba.com and got the latest firmware.  Didn't help though.

Here's some output from cdrecord showing versions:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.11) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'TOSHIBA '
Identifikation : 'DVD-ROM SD-R5002'
Revision       : '1033'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for
cdrecord-ProDVD.
cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with mkisofs or cdrecord.  I'm
following the example at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

In an attempt to eliminate buffer underruns as being a problem, I use:
nice -18 (or -35 even) cdrecord -driveropts=burnfree cd1.iso (note that
in /usr/local/etc/cdrecord I've included a def for toshiba as 1,0,0 and made
it the default recorder).

I'm only burning <2 MB, or < 4 MB (I eliminate all but one directory to get <
2 MB).  Ive mostly been using TAO, but I've tried DAO and PACKET.
--
i386 FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE on 2.4 GHz pentium 4 (ASUS P4T533)
There are 10 types of people in this world. Ones that understand binary and